Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Don't chuck Chuck just yet

Consider me officially back on the Chuck bandwagon.

Last night's episode was fun and entertaining and left me wanting more. Just my luck (and I mean that in a good way) the "next week on Chuck" ad promised just that...and what looks like an interesting tidbit for the ongoing story/mythology. Nice.

The episode even managed to answer a criticism that some have had of the show: that squeezing Chuck into spy missions every week feels forced and awkward. (e.g. He doesn't seem like he belongs.)

Regarding that--first off, it's the concept of the show. If you don't buy into this as a fish out of water story, I don't know how to help you. It's supposed to feel like he doesn't belong because...he doesn't. Crazy, I know.

However, let's pretend I find this to be a valid criticism. I will wholeheartedly admit that it seems kind of silly to put Chuck up against trained fighters. Or any fighters. It's silly, because clearly he'll lose. So far, I think the show has embraced this silliness, so that doesn't bother me.

But if it did bother me, last night was the answer. Last night, Chuck's nemesis was not yet another agent trained in 80 different kinds of combat. Instead, he faced off against a weapons expert...or, really, a computer nerd.

In the realm of the show, completely believable and a fair opponent. Brain versus brain. Not to mention an amusing slap-fight in Chuck's car.

Anyway, all of this is to say...don't give up on Chuck yet. While not without its faults, the show deserves far better than the middling ratings it's been getting.

You hear that, Nielsen people? Stop watching Dancing With the Stars.

For reals, yo.

No comments: