Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Trade Envy

Amanda's latest post made me realize how much I miss being at an Executive's desk...for the trades. Every morning, a fresh Hollywood Reporter and Variety appeared on my desk.

But no more.

My bosses now don't get the trades, and I am forced to walk into the next cubicle to get them.

....

Yes, that's right, I said the next cubicle. Sue me--I live in Los Angeles and we don't walk. (And yes technically I could just go to their respective websites to look, but did I ask you? Is this your blog? No. No it is not.)

So Amanda's post inspired me to shuffle 10 feet (5 there, 5 back) and guess what? Right there on the front page is a great little story about how the AMPTP came to the sudden realization that they are total assholes and decided to only sort of be assholes: They withdrew their stupid and pointless proposal that would "revise current residual formulas to allow studios to recoup basic costs before making residual payments in the future." Uh, right. Like that was ever a serious proposal. All it succeeded in doing was get the WGA up in arms and look foolish and blustery too.

Anyway, I'm not going to get into the nuts and bolts of this thing because

1) Craig Mazin does it better on a blog actually devoted to these kinds of issues.
2) I don't really know what I'm talking about.

Speaking of which, I have a completely unfounded suggestion/hypothesis for all of you wannabe writers out there still seeking representation: If this strike happens, and it most likely will, go after the managers.

Why, you ask? Well, this is just a thought, but...

Studios, producers and prod cos are basically out of the question at this point unless you're interested in animation (which the WGA recently said it would also bar writers from doing, despite the fact that they have no jurisdiction there) or reality TV.

I've read a couple of articles, including this one Amanda linked to in her post, that says agents are being told that nothing on the studio side will be read until the strike blows over.

Translation: agents won't want to read your work. Even more than they don't want to read your work now.

But managers... Well, this may be a longshot, but the job of a manager is to give you career guidance and develop your work. They can help to get you an agent. Some very good ones might even be able to get you work, but from everything I've heard, you'll need an agent as well. The point here is career guidance and development. These are things that take time, and I would at least like to think that a manager might be more willing to take on clients even though they may not see a deal anytime soon because, well, that's what they do. That's my hope, anyway.

Beyond that and the obvious "keep writing" axiom, I'm looking into UCLA Extension courses (seriously this time, the partner's on board with the idea and my company will pay for mine:) and will probably continue entering contests. At the very least, these two things will keep us writing, but hopefully they'll also get our names out there and help us make connections so that when the strike is over we'll get an agent and get on a show immediately.

Yes. That will happen.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on how or if the strike will affect you and what your plans are. Suggestions are welcome and encouraged.

1 comment:

Danny said...

I highly recommend the UCLA Extension classes. They're really steered me in the right direction and keep me writing. Some classes and isntructors are better than others, but overall my experience has been amazing! Do it!