Sunday, November 11, 2007

It Affects Everyone

This morning, after reading yet another article about a crew member who has lost their job because of the strike (look here, here and here for examples), a couple of ideas occurred to me and I became annoying and emailed people. Sometimes it's fun.

Those who bore the wrath of my lightbulb moment are fans4writers and the WGA. Yes, I emailed the WGA. I'm sure they're not too busy right now to read it and get back to me soon. Busy with what?!

...
...

Anyway, here were my thoughts in a nutshell:

1) Goodsearch.

Lots of us who support the goals of the WGA are lazy, and Goodsearch was invented for lazy people who still want to make a difference in some way. I don't even know if it's possible for either the WGA or fans4writers to utilize Goodsearch, but I thought it would be a great way for people to support the cause who aren't in LA.

I think just about everyone who wants to help would be willing to use Goodsearch and put...let's call it the WGA Writer's Fund...as their charity of choice. Heck, most of us would go a step further and post a permanent icon on our various blogs and websites.

2) Crew Fund (or Below-the-Line Fund)

Possibly even related to #1, I think it would be fantastic if fans4writers or especially the WGA were to put together some kind of fund to help out all of those crew members who have already lost or will lose their jobs because of this strike.

Besides just being the right thing to do, I think something like this would go a long way toward helping to engender more goodwill for the writers and their cause. "Yes, we realize that this affects more than just us. With studios shutting down numerous productions, many or our co-workers are losing their jobs and their livelihood. To help them in this time of need, while we make a principled stand, the WGA/fans4writers/whoever, has created a Below-the-Line Fund to help our friends and colleagues until this is resolved."

I'm sure that I'm not the first to think of this, and I have no idea whether it's feasible at all, but if it is...come on, why wouldn't you put together something like this?

1 comment:

VDOVault said...

Hey Josh

If you have any good ideas on how to support the BTL people I am all ears...you can email me at vdovault at yahoo dot com

I really want to make sure they don't suffer especially my Law & Order Criminal Intent peeps.