Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Back to the stupid, stupid drawing board?

Ever write what feels like a pretty tight outline for a script, start writing and then realize that there are far more potential problems than you thought?

Yeah. It's fun.

Part of me wants to stop and go back to the outline to refine it and plug holes, but Jul and I have also been working on the damn thing so long that I also really, really want to just freaking write it. So that's what I have been doing, but it's slow going. Slower than I've ever experienced writing a script. I think. Maybe. My perception is probably influenced (slightly) by my frustration.

Ahh, well, time marches on and deadlines loom. The least I can do is keep trudging.

2 comments:

Jane said...

I feel your pain. I'm experiencing the same thing. Maybe there's such thing as working too much on the outline?

xJ

Josh said...

Absolutely. There's a point where you're just avoiding writing by trying to perfect the structure.

However, since we just replaced a big chunk of our story with something different, I'm only now starting to realize how much we lost in the transition. Nothing like figuring out problems in the pages, though. :)