Saturday, February 9, 2008

The Death of Final Draft?

Not quite. But Alex Epstein just posted about a pretty cool application, Scripped.

Basically, it's a free online script formatting program. Nothing to download. How cool is that? No more having to, um...purchase...new copies of Final Draft. No more being tied to a single computer since your work will be accessible from anywhere with an internet connection. Walls are crumbling, my friends. Except...

I tried it out, and at least for now the program is a little raw. There's a function where you can tab through the script elements, but it seems to get stuck on dialogue, parenthetical or action. When I wanted to put in a new slug line, I had to move the mouse over and click--kind of annoying if you're doing that every few minutes.

Still, very interesting development...

2 comments:

Jane said...

I use Celtx - free screenwriting software. It's a much nicer tool than Final Draft, and if they would just their dang page break function working, it would be perfect.

http://www.celtx.com

John Reha said...

It's about time, actually. Everything else has gone open source, and yet there were no free online Web 2.0 screenwriting applications.

Now I'm just waiting for one for my phone (My Windows Mobile phone), so I can use my little bluetooth keyboard.

Also, I'm sick as I think I've ever been. Pardon the rambling, if it's there.