Monday, February 25, 2008

For the love of god, don't embolden the audience

The Oscars were montage-ariffic.

Jon Stewart was great, as usual. But then I'm also one of the supposed few who liked his last outing as Oscar host, so what do I know?

Neither of these things apparently helped the ratings.

Because of this, since history shows that the only true way to get a larger audience is to nominate movies the audience is most familiar with (e.g. the movies that make the most money), here are my preliminary Best Picture nominations for 2009:

Iron Man
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
The Dark Knight
Wall-E
Indiana Jones And The Kingdom Of The Crystal Skull

In fact, since many of these are movies with outsized heroes, they could even add a phone-in category: Which of these protagonists would win in an all-out brawl?

I'd have to say my vote goes to Batman, because he tends to find a way to neutralize his enemies' strengths, which pretty much takes out everyone but Indiana Jones. And while I love Indy, let's face it, Dr. Jones is no Bruce Wayne.

2 comments:

Ryan said...

Hey, you never know. If Heath Ledger's performance is as good as it looks in the trailer, he could get nominated for Best Supporting. That, plus the whole posthumous element to it. And, yes, Wayne > Jones.

Josh said...

While I'd love to believe it, I can't see something like this happening for a superhero movie.

The closest comparison I can think of is Ian McKellen getting nominated for Fellowship of the Ring.

But still... won't happen.