Tuesday, March 4, 2008

I Brake for Snacks!

Today on my annoyingly long drive to work via the 405, I spent a lot of time thinking about character.

This was due in no small part to the fact that for most of the trip I was trapped behind an otherwise average looking Honda Civic that had one small piece of flair: a bumper sticker with a drawing of what looked like a fortune cookie and the copy "I Brake for Snacks!"

Which raised a series of interesting questions for me: What kind of person would actually display this bumper sticker on their car? Was the sticker meant to be jokingly serious or satirize "funny" bumper stickers? If it was meant to be serious, why would a person choose to display that particular piece of information about themselves, especially in the absence of any other information?

It didn't feel like a real bumper sticker that a real person would use. More like something John Candy would have had in Uncle Buck, or that we would have seen on Wayne Knight's car in Jurassic Park as he reverses out of a parking space "into" the camera. You know, because they're the fat guys and it's funny that they like food. All fat guys enjoy pointing out that they like food, right? Right.

Have you ever noticed things like this in real life that felt so ridiculous they seemed surreal?

4 comments:

Elana said...

This is a really excellent post.

I find bumper stickers in general quite hilarious. There's a shot in the first XXX movie where this Evil Agent Of The Man pulls up at a country club in some ridiculous Rolls-type car, and his bumper sticker (which, first. Let's see a show of hands of the number of old, rich white dudes who put stickers on their 200k cars.) reads: SKATEBOARDING IS A CRIME.

Okay, thanks for that subtle bit of character work.

(I mock, but I secretly love that movie.)

Josh said...

I secretly love Predator... Okay, it's not a secret.

m said...

If ever I can afford a car that exceeds my current income by 4x or more, the first thing I'm going to do when I get it is put a bumper sticker on it.

A really stupid one.

Something exceptionally geeky.

Maybe "My Other Car is a Klingon D-7 Battlecruiser."

Amanda said...

I always kinda wanted to have an ironic one that said "BUMPER STICKERS ARE TRASHY".

btw, why the hell are you taking the 405? Benedict Canyon, my friend.