Monday, June 30, 2008

Emmys! Early! Sort of!

So the finalists for Emmy nominations were released/leaked a few days ago:

Top 10 Comedy Series Finalists

Curb Your Enthusiasm
Entourage
Family Guy
Flight of the Conchords
The Office
Pushing Daisies
30 Rock
Two and a Half Men
Ugly Betty
Weeds

Top 10 Drama Series Finalists

Boston Legal
Damages
Dexter
Friday Night Lights
Grey's Anatomy
House
Lost
Mad Men
The Tudors
The Wire


Unfortunately I don't watch some of these shows, so here's my updated list that I feel I can reasonably choose from:

Josh's Comedy Series Finalists

Entourage
Flight of the Conchords
The Office
Pushing Daisies
30 Rock
Ugly Betty
Weeds

Josh's Drama Series Finalists

Damages
Dexter
Grey's Anatomy
Lost
Mad Men
The Wire


Coincidentally--or maybe not--most of the shows I cut out I wouldn't have chosen anyway. How can I say that without watching the shows? I just can; get over it.
(Apologies to Friday Night Lights, House and Curb...though from what I hear this wasn't the greatest season for FNL.)

From the Josh List, here are my Emmy Nominees:

Comedy
Entourage
The Office
Pushing Daisies
30 Rock
Ugly Betty

Three of these were guaranteed spots: Pushing Daisies, The Office and 30 Rock. They always make me laugh, and I'm often in awe of how creative they are. Ugly Betty fell from grace a bit this season, but I'm still enamored enough with it to say that it deserves a spot here, and I'll keep watching next year in the hopes that it returns to its former glory.

Entourage won the battle of the cable shows simply by being good enough and charming enough--kind of like Vinny Chase, in a way, despite the show's efforts to showcase him as some kind of amazing talent.

I removed Weeds because the third season, while funny, did a lot of things that irritated me too, not the least of which was going completely off the rails. Perhaps in the final accounting of the show I'll feel better about it, but right now...

Flight of the Conchords is very much a victim of me not having seen very many episodes, but the fact that I find it to be an uneven show didn't help.

Drama
Damages
Dexter
Lost
Mad Men
The Wire

Most of the shows on this list are no brainers for me. I've made my love for Dexter's second season quite clear, and The Wire is never far short of brilliant. Damages is a creepy, always twisting show that made up for a slow mid-season with a great finale that made the plot twist in on itself yet again. Well worth it. Mad Men doesn't exactly make me excited to watch, but I also can't turn it off, and it's an exceedingly well-made show.

Which meant that it was down to Lost or Grey's Anatomy. This may seem like an easy choice, but I actually like the light-hearted charms of Grey's when the writers and actors are really on their game. Really what sealed it in Lost's favor was just that I felt they got more things right more of the time. This is a show that has reinvented itself, and for the most part it didn't miss a beat. The best thing I can say about it is: four seasons in, I'm still along for the ride.

There you have it, folks. And don't get used to this every day posting thing--the bosses got trapped in Miami today, so it's a freebie, but tomorrow is right back to the 7a-9p grind. Woo!

No comments: