Saturday, June 28, 2008

I will not say blogiversary, I will not say blogiversary...



(Note: Feel free to sing along, but please substitute "year" for "years." Thank you.)

Exactly a year ago (give or take a few hours), a very bored assistant researched some famous quotes, found something he thought he could use as a title, and foisted upon the world yet another writing blog, which if you haven't yet guessed is the one you're currently reading despite the poorly structured run-on sentence that I'm too lazy to fix.

I started this blog (as the above sentence implies) because I had gobs of downtime at my last job, wanted to connect in some way with other writers and because Jul and I were in a bit of a lull in our writing life, having just completed two specs and a pilot in the span of 8 or 9 months (give or take) and having yet to decide what should be next. In short, I was bored and needed an outlet.

It's been an incredible year. After dribbling out a few early posts about contests and spec scripts, something actually interesting happened: a writer's assistant position opened up at my company and I applied. You super-lucky people got to follow my trials and tribulations as I interviewed, got the job, then tried to figure out what the hell I was supposed to do. At least every once in a while you followed them... One of my new blog-year resolutions is that I intend to post more about my job as a writer's assistant and the feature animation project I'm currently working on. The trick, obviously, is doing that without violating any NDAs or in general pissing off people I don't want to piss off. Still, I promise that I'll try, Emily.

While this was going on, there was Comic-Con (awesome lines!), super-fun waiting for contest results (hint: we didn't win any), and a decided lack of writing for us as we outlined what I still think would have been a great Dexter spec only to watch as the show did our B-story idea better over the course of the first few episodes and we never quite found something great to put in its place.

Then there was this little thing you might have heard of called the WGA strike. Or maybe not, since most of the major media outlets didn't give it much airtime. I tried to show my support and walk the line when I could (typically during free lunch hours or the very rare morning where I woke up super-early and shuffled around Fox until I had to go to work), but I know many, MANY people who did a lot more than I.

Around this time, Jul started writing for Pink Raygun and then became part owner in the website, which is freaking awesome. It's already led to her getting to interview Jane, among others, and some exciting opportunities for both of us, a few of which will hopefully shortly see the light of day. Expect to see lots of Comic-Con coverage from us in about a month; and if you're there and see us walking around in our Pink Raygun shirts, say hi.

But while we had some interesting stuff going on, our writing lives were still pretty dead.

I finally convinced Jul that we should take some UCLA Extension TV writing courses, so we signed up for those in January. Then a great group of mostly blogging writers led by a different Jane (but just as awesome in her own way:) contacted Jul and I about joining a writer's group and we eagerly agreed.

Suddenly we went from writing nothing to trying to divide time between our still somewhat lame duck Dexter spec and TWO spec outlines we were writing for class. And then Jul was given a ginormous (yeah, I said it) project at work and had to bail out of the group. And then... Well, just suffice it to say that the last six months or so have been some of the busiest in our lives, writing or otherwise. All good stuff, just...busy.

Which leads me to the last few months on this blog. Sorry about those, Constant Readers. Life intruded, as it tends to do. And unfortunately I don't see it getting any better for a while, but I'm going to try to post more regularly on a variety of things.

Now, because this is getting rather long, enjoy some of my most popular posts from the last year according to Google Analytics, which knows all:

1. I Almost Killed Joss Whedon! or Bravery I Do Not Have
2. Breaking Down Dexter
3. Joss Whedon Trips Small Child...and other TALES FROM THE CON
4. "You start out thinking you're the hero, but then..."
5. Breaking Down (and Building Up) Chuck - note: start at the bottom.

No comments: