Thursday, July 17, 2008

Emmy nominations--for realz this time!

I know you're all wondering who the nominees are, but let's face it, if you just wanted that information there are far more professional sites where you can find it. But there's something much more important you can learn by coming here: how correct were Josh's picks from a few weeks ago?

Important stuff, kids.

Here are the actual Emmy noms:

Outstanding Comedy Series

Curb Your Enthusiasm
Entourage
The Office
30 Rock
Two and a Half Men

Outstanding Drama Series

Boston Legal
Damages
Dexter
House
Lost
Mad Men

My choices were:

Comedy

Entourage
The Office
Pushing Daisies
30 Rock
Ugly Betty

Drama

Damages
Dexter
Lost
Mad Men
The Wire

As you can see, I've bolded my choices that match the actual nominations. Drama -- pretty dead on. Comedy -- not so much.

Seeing the differences in these lists immediately brings a few things to mind:
1) Drama gets six nominees? Really? Fine. Then I choose House over Boston Legal.
2) I don't know what the solution is, but classifying shows as simply either Comedy or Drama doesn't seem to cut it. No one-hour shows got nominated for Comedy? Come on.
3) I stand by my choice of The Wire and will bludgeon all who disagree. Not my favorite TV show ever, but quite possibly the best.

How did your favorite shows do?

No comments: