Thursday, July 17, 2008

When writers RSVP to something, apparently they mean it

Holy crap, guys.

Apparently hopeful TV writers are a lonely, lonely people, because last night 80 or so of us swarmed the Cat & Fiddle in Hollywood for the first ever event for the TV Writers (and friends) in LA group.

Standing room only doesn't even cover it. We were crammed into what at first seemed like a giant side room of the pub, but in short order tables were being pushed against walls and people were struggling to navigate through the crowd.

By which I mean: it was awesome.

Congratulations, Jane, on such a great turnout, and for realizing there's a need for a group like this in LA. This was, without doubt, the most fun meetup/mixer/networking event-type thing that Jul and I have ever attended.

What did you, Gentle Reader, miss? Why, a veritable who's who of writers who aren't quite anybody yet :)

There was, of course, Jane, hopping from table to table and being a good host; Sullivan stopped by to brag about the 19th script he's written this year (I kid, but seriously, I've never known anyone as good as he is to be so prolific... bastard); Matt was beard-y and friendly, just like he was when we had lunch a few weeks ago; Adam had trouble deciding which TV show he watches is his least favorite and made me realize I'd lost my fiancee; Amanda was too busy networking with people she doesn't know to talk to me until the end of the night...wait, actually that was me; Elana says she was there...but I think she's lying; Furey was all like, "Secretariat this, Secretariat that. Joss Whedon played a practical joke on me because I'm so cool;" David complained that his new job is so slow that he's been forced to hang out with all the Caprica writers (boo-hoo, David, boo-hoo); Elliot, always thinking, brought a friend; Thomas and Lily and Bethany chatted about the specs they're trying to get ready for Warner Bros. and Disney ABC.

And, yes, there were people I didn't already know who attended as well. Like Jami and Louis and Grace and Ben and about 20 others I "met" and conversed with and (naturally) promptly forgot their names. Have I mentioned that I was an RA in college and that it was my job to remember names...? Yeah, so...

Overall, it seemed like everyone had a really good time, and it was great to spend a few hours mingling with people who are largely in the exact same position as Jul and I. Again, Jane, thanks. I'm already looking forward to the next event.

5 comments:

Shawna said...

Huh. I didn't know anything about this event. It also doesn't look like any of the 30 or so TV writer people I know were in attendance.

If I know about it, the next event will be much MUCH larger.

Josh said...

If that's true, we're gonna need a bigger boat...

Elana said...

I WAS THERE! I was in the main section of the bar, discussing important things like "Favorite 30 Rock moments". Pfffft.

Josh said...

tee hee

John Reha said...

Dammit. I wish I could have made it, but the kitten needed her shots. Ah well. Next time!