Friday, March 27, 2009

Sci-Friday - Take 7

We're nearing the end, people. Battlestar is gone, Sarah Connor is likely on the way out, and Dollhouse... well, that's still up in the air. Fingers crossed.

Mini-reviews for last week's episodes:

Sarah Connor Chronicles -- And the recorded episodes just keep piling up. I know, I know, I suck...

Dollhouse -- There was a lot to like about this episode, but it wasn't the slam dunk for me that it seems like it was for many other people. I thought the interviews were hit-or-miss, and the episode itself was a pretty slow build... though when it started clicking, it really started clicking. The biggest thing I'm actually worried about for the future of this show as it pertains to the Whedon-ness we all love: one thing all past Joss shows have had in common is actors that can handle his dialogue and shifts in tone. After last week, I'm not at all confident that some of the actors here are up to that task, and I'm not talking about Eliza...

Battlestar -- .... The moment where Baltar and Caprica Six realize they both see "head" versions of each other was inspired. And Tigh's drunken "YEEEEEAAAAHHH!"s made my night -- and a fun drinking game. Yup. And... uh... well... um....

Let's look at previews for tonight!



6 comments:

Emily Blake said...

I have really grown to like Dollhouse quite a bit. I hated the man on the street interviews, but the story itself has really drawn me in. I hope it stays.

Republibot 3.0 said...

Yeah, it really is becoming the Summer of our Discontent, isn't it? Galactica's gone, no Dr. Who, not enough Torchwood to matter, Kings is doomed, Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles (Or "T2.5" as I like to call it) is likely doomed, Dollhouse is still in the ratings dregs, and the Sci-Fi channel is in the midst of forsaking us. It's a sad time to be a geek. Fortunately, I have lots of books...

Josh said...

Barring a continued slide, I think by next year we'll still have Dollhouse and Kings.

If not, well, um, there's one season of Lost left, right?

And Heroes could get sort of good again with Fuller back... Oh, wait, he might be leaving to do a new Trek series....

Republibot 3.0 said...

Dollhouse and T2.5 have both had a slight ratings bump over the last 3 weeks, though I doubt it's good enough to bring either show back, even if they've got a buzz. This is Fox, they feel no compunction about cancelling well-reviewed shows like Arrested Development and Firefly and any number of other examples.

I'd be *VERY* surprised if Kings survives. The AV club has a good article on how its ratings are effectively pulling negative numbers, and the per-episode budget is $4 million bucks.

It's a shame. Over at the Republibot.com website, we love Kings, and we've warmed up to Dollhouse. And we always loved T2.5

John Reha said...

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but as of the end of this season, Terminator: SCC is done...

Sorry...

Republibot 3.0 said...

I naturally assumed the same thing, Mr. Reha, but I haven't heard any kind of announcement from FOX. Have they said anything about it officially?