Thursday, May 13, 2010

Dear Showrunners Seeking Script Coordinators and Writer's Assistants

Hi there.


I know this is a bit unorthodox, but I thought I had just about as good a chance to reach you this way as I've had emailing friends and acquaintances, "networking," and desperately tracking down and calling production offices.

Here's the deal. I'd really like to work for you. I have experience as a writer's assistant, script coordinator, and Showrunner's assistant. I'm good, dedicated, and thrilled to work hard and utilize the skills it's taken me years to learn to make your show that much more awesome. You will be glad you hired me and comfortable knowing that my responsibilities are one less thing you'll need to stress about.

Unfortunately, there's a problem. You won't hire me. And it's not because I'm not qualified. It's not because I'm not great at my job. It's not even because I weirded you out in the interview. I never even got that interview because you don't know me. Or know someone who met me at a gym/bar/park/party/sex club and recommended me. Believe me, I understand how important your time is and how frantic your schedule must be, but I've seen just as many regrets as successes come from the friend/family pipeline.

So here's my proposal: this season, see just one person from that pile of hundreds (or thousands) who faxes or emails in their resume despite having no discernible connection to you. Think of it as giving back. Worst case scenario, it wastes the same amount of time as the weird kid your old boss asked you to meet. But if it does work out, you'll have one very grateful employee who knows they have you to thank -- not their old boss/uncle/friend on staff who convinced you to talk to them in the first place.

Thank you for your consideration, and I hope to hear from you soon.

No comments: